Sunday, March 27, 2011

Silence


Sitting next to the window I sigh
The evening sun goes past me
Solitude my sole companion
We talk of times gone past
And the Utopian life I see myself walk into
The keeper of my secrets...
Silence! You are my dearest guide

We walked quietly down that shaded lane, He and I
Stopping to look at a pretty bird
Reaching out to touch that velvety blossom
Summer breeze ruffling our hair gently
The silent smiles spoke for both us
The sounds around meant nothing
Silence! You are my favourite messenger

We sit amidst jovial laughter, all of us
Somewhere in the recesses of my mind you keep me company still 
A loud mischievous accusation, a louder denial
Some back-slapping and passing of drinks around
The warm hugs to show solidarity 
That ticklish poke in the rib to tell me the teasing isn't over yet
Silence!  Even in a crowd you are my best friend

I lie on my bed a crumpled sorry mess
Stifling my sobs, sometimes, crying out aloud in my pain
The promise my tomorrow made to me is broken
The heart that believed that devious tomorrow is maimed
You console me, tell me, "Never again let this happen to you!
But even if you do, I'll still be around," and stroke my feverish head
Silence! You are my philosopher 

We meet after a long time, He and I
There is so much to say, so much to share
We recount stories we haven't told, uncomfortable silence intervenes
We know we still understand each other, ambiguous silence mushrooms
We revel in momentary togetherness, intrusive silence makes us edgy
Suddenly, there is nothing to say, nothing to share
Silence! You are my worst enemy

4 comments:

The West Wind said...

Hello Titli Nani,

I hope you remember who I am :D This is really good.. I am glad I came across ur blog :D And Silence is something I can relate to as well :D

Isha

Shibangi said...

Of course I remember who you are Isha. What a silly thing for you to say :)

Thanks much for the appreciation. Come by more often. Shall look forward to feedback.

The West Wind said...

Hehe.. sorry for all the silliness :D I will certainly come by regularly.. I do keep getting in and out of blogworld :D

Atashi said...

Pensive and soul stirring